Sunday, August 8, 2010

Saturdays with Thomas ...

Saturdays with Thomas are nothing like
Tuesdays with Morrie (which was a horrible book ... I couldn't even finish it because it drove me nutty!)

I, finally, got away from babysitting and crap like that to visit Thomas (one of my three BFFs from my college days at Tufts). I

Tom lives in Beverly, MA now. Right near the ocean! It took me an hour and a half to get there but it was so much fun when we finally got together!

We were supposed to go to the Stone Zoo earlier in the day but I didn't end up going to sleep until 3:45 a.m. and I decided that it wasn't going to happen. There was no way I was going to drag my bottom out of bed so that I could hang out at the zoo with lemurs and lions and other alliterative animals.

So, I slept in and we got together later in the day.

He showed me around the area of Beverly that he lives in. It's so cute! Very Bohemian and, to be honest, reminded me of the neighborhood around Tufts (Davis Square) with all the adorable shops and quaint houses and stuff.

We spent a good amount of time walking along Cabot Street, which Tom, lives right off. There were all these cute little organic stores and gifts shops. And, an inordinate amount of consignment and second hand stores.

Since, I am looking for some shoes for Michaleen and Pat's wedding. I decided to go into the shops ... and dragged Tom along.

That's one of the perks of having Tom as a friend: a.) he's good in a pinch to tell me something looks ridiculous or fantastic and b.) apparently, my mother gave him specific instructions when we were in college not to let me spend too much money, so he's good for a yelling too (as in "Britta! You don't need that $35.00 pair of panties. You can get a bunch at Target for $8.00" or "Don't try on those Dolce and Gabana shoes! You can't wear 6 inch heals! You'll fall and break your neck." What are friends for right?

Then, Tom and I decided to walk down to the water which is literally a 10 minute walk from his house. There is the cutest beach there.

It's no Hampton Beach (or any other fancy smancy beach I've never been to) but it was perfect for the day since the weather was sweet.

And by sweet, I mean, it was 75, maybe 80 tops. The wind was blowing in off the ocean. There as no pungent fishy smell that you get at some marinas or beaches. There was a hand full of people hanging around on the beach. No one was shouting and screaming. There were no children. And the sun was out.

It literally was perfect. We sat on the wall and talked for a while and just
listened to the waves wash in. It was super relaxing. I can't remember the last time that I just sat there and enjoyed what was going on in the moment and not thinking about what I would be doing in 15 minutes or an hour from then!

We walked back to Tom's apartment after that.

It's the cutest little 2nd floor beach style apartment. You walk into the kitchen (from the back door). I was expecting gally style or smaller (is there smaller) but his kitchen is super cute. It needs some pictures and little
lived in touches but it's definitely a Tom-esque apartment. Then you can walk right into the living room from the kitchen. It's light and airy with "adult furniture" (micro-suede couches) and a TV. His bedroom is at the back of the apartment with his bed and dresser. Very manly!

Hilariously enough, he has a marble fireplace in his closet in the bedroom because they split up the house from a one family into a few apartments and that's just where the fireplace ended up! Hilarious!

We did dinner at the Willow Tree where Tom's a regular ... regular lush ... I kid. It was good though. It's the second time I've been there!

The only shitty thing about the night was the drive back. I swear to God car headlights have
gotten so much brighter in past years. And since my car is so short, the light glares right in my windows. And keeping in mind that I had a horrible allergy headache, I spent much of my 128 and Pike drive holding my hand out to block the glare of the lights from the traffic behind me from getting into my eyes!

Only good thing about that was that when I got home, I fell asleep early (yeah laying in bed for 2 hours and falling asleep at 1 a.m. is early for me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment